Some Major Presidential Appointments – An Updated List 2
This is updated list 2 of presidential appointments, updated from my blog posts of November 21, 2016 and November 29, 2016. Below are some of President-Elect Trump’s major appointments. Some require Senate confirmation, while other don’t require Senate confirmation.
- Chief Strategist and Senior Counselor – Steve Bannon. He is an outstanding conservative political strategist. He’s a great person to keep the Trump administration on track politically. He also will oversee the many political battles the left will use to attempt to block Trump. He’s a sharp strategist familiar with winning battles. He is a former naval officer who likes to recall military leaders and philosophers. He sees the big strategy picture.
- Chief of Staff – Reince Priebus. Trump wisely selected a premier manager and organizer in Reince Priebus to be his Chief of Staff. Priebus was a master of registering new Republican voters and successfully Getting Out The Vote (GOTV) activities. While technically part of the Establishment Republican Party, he gracefully pivoted and supported Trump during the campaign. He will defer to Trump’s leadership, vision, goals, and policies. Priebus will be the organizer and manager at The White House.
- Attorney General – Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions. He is tough on enforcing the laws, touch on immigration issues, and has signaled be might take on sanctuary cities and their reluctance to enforce the laws.
- Director of the CIA – Kansas Rep. Mike Pompeo. Pompeo is a solid conservative and a strong critic of Obama and his awful Iran nuclear agreement that was never put to the test as a treaty in the Senate. Pompeo is a graduate of both West Point and Harvard Law School.
- National Security Adviser – Retired Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn. The National Security Adviser position does not require Senate Confirmation. Flynn is the former Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA).
- Deputy National Security Adviser – K. T. McFarland. McFarland is a Fox Analyst. She previously worked for the Nixon, Ford, and Reagan administrations.
- U. S. Ambassador to the United Nations – South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley. She is the daughter of Indian immigrants and is a smart leader and great deal maker. She is Trump’s first cabinet level appointment that is a woman.
- U. S. Ambassador to China – Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad. Gov. Branstad has considerable ties with China and is a personal friend of Chinese President Xi Jinping. China appears to be happy with his selection.
- Secretary of Defense – Retired General James Mattis. Former Commander, U. S. Central Command. He also commanded U. S. Joint Forces Command. Earlier he commanded the 1st Marine Division in the Iraq War. He is also considered by some to be a scholar and his personal library is said to contain 7,000 volumes.
- Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) – Georgia Rep. Tom Price. Price, an orthopedic surgeon and a major opponent to ObamaCare, will now be in a position to repeal and replace ObamaCare. He is the Chairman of the House Budget Committee and has been a big advocate for tax credits, expanded Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), and the elimination of ObamaCare. Working with Secretary-Nominee Price will be Seema Verma, another appointee. See below. Note that Trump calls the Price-Verma Team the “Dream Team” with his plan to repeal ObamaCare.
- Secretary of Transportation – Elaine Chao. Chao was Secretary of Labor under President George W. Bush. She has a MBA from Harvard, was former Deputy Secretary of Transportation under President George H. W. Bush, head of the Peace Corps, and head of the United Way of America. She is married to Sen. Mitch McConnell.
- Secretary of Education – Betsy DeVos from Michigan. Betsy DeVos is head of the American Federation for Children and she supports both charter schools and school vouchers. Her husband, Dick DeVos, is the heir to the Amway fortune. This appointment might signal Trump’s intention to re-direct large sums of education dollars from school districts to low income parents for use in public, private, for profit, religious, and virtual schools. Recall Trump’s $20B school voucher plan from his campaign.
- Secretary of the Treasury – Steven Mnuchin. During the 2016 presidential campaign, Mnuchin was Trump’s Finance Chairman. He is a pro-growth business person who more recently was the Chairman of Dune Capital Management. His company has invested in Hollywood projects such as Avatar, Sully, American Sniper, and X-Men. He also worked for Goldman Sachs and was a Founder of OneWest Bank Group. He is focused on tax cuts and growing the economy.
- Secretary of Commerce – Wilbur R. (WR) Ross. Ross is a successful turn-around expert in several industries, including in the steel and coal industries. Ross is a proponent of tax cuts for working families, cutting burdensome regulations, and boosting energy resources. He’s been a close adviser to Trump recently.
- Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) – Dr. Ben Carson. Former Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
- Secretary of Homeland Security – Retired Marine Gen. John Kelly. Kelly is considered a border hawk. Former head of the Southern Command that oversaw Guantanamo Bay detention center.
- Administrator, Small Business Administration – Linda McMahon, Former CEO World Wrestling Entertainment. Ran twice for a Senate seat in Connecticut.
- Administrator, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services – Seema Verma. Verma is an expert on Medicaid, has had decades on experience working on Medicare and Medicaid policy, and most recently helped Gov. Mike Pence on Medicaid coverage in Indiana. Note that Trump calls the Price-Verma Team the “Dream Team” with his plan to repeal ObamaCare.
- Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency – Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt. Strong critic of the EPA Clean Power Plan. Joined with 26 other State AGs to oppose Carbon Rules in the Clean Power Plan. He believed that Obama was violating the Constitution and States rights in the environmental arena. Pruitt doesn’t believe in so-called “climate change.” But, he does care about the environment.
For More Information on This Year’s Presidential Election and the Presidential Transition
Please read my book Great News for America. In it, I correctly predicted 2016 would be an historic and critical presidential election that would usher in a new American Constitutional Era, the Conservative Era. All together, I made ten surprising predictions most of which have already come true or will probably come true. In it, I also discuss the Presidential Transition and what the new president will likely do after the Inauguration.
It’s available in a print edition from Amazon and other book sellers. It’s also available on Kindle and other e-book devices.