Is Social Media a New Threat to Freedom of Speech?
This week President Trump entered the debate over social media and the freedom of speech with this set of tweets:
Google search results for “Trump News” shows only the viewing/reporting of Fake News Media. In other words, they have it RIGGED, for me & others, so that almost all stories & news is BAD. Fake CNN is prominent. Republican/Conservative & Fair Media is shut out. Illegal? 96% of….
….results on “Trump News” are from National Left-Wing Media, very dangerous. Google & others are suppressing voices of Conservatives and hiding information and news that is good. They are controlling what we can & cannot see. This is a very serious situation-will be addressed!
This is an extension of Trump’s campaign against fake news, stories that appear in the old mainstream media that are later found to be false. One recent example is CNN’s story that Trump knew about a Trump Tower meeting in 2016. Lanny Davis claimed he was the source of the story that Trump knew about the meeting. But, more recently, Davis revealed that that story was in error.
Social Media Findings that are Disturbing to Some Conservatives
The Media Research Center offers some findings on the behavior of Twitter, Facebook, Google and YouTube:
- Twitter Shadow Banning – evidence of “Shadow Banning” by Twitter employees where conservatives are censored – simply put, some conservative tweets appear to be handled normally, but apparently are not distributed to followers
- Facebook Hiding Conservative Topics by Altering Trending Results – Some conservative topics are simply blacklisted. Examples include Sen. Rand Paul and the Conservative Political Action Conference.
- Facebook Promoting Leftist Topics – Example: “Black Lives Matter” topic was promoted to Trending Results when the topic didn’t numerically warrant such promotion
- Google Provided Biased Search Results for Clinton and Democrats in 2016 Election – See, for example, the Slate study and other studies.
- So-Called Fact-Checkers that are Overwhelmingly Leftist –
- How does using Leftists to curate news stories eliminate fake news stories (written by other Leftists)?
- Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is notoriously Leftist – They list all the following groups as hate groups:
- David Horowitz Freedom Center
- Act for America
- Traditional Values Coalition
- San Diegans for Secure Borders
- Family Research Institute
What Can be Done to Even the Playing Field?
Obviously, censoring conservatives and conservative ideas violates our sense of fair play. It also restricts free speech and stifles free debate. Because it upsets conservatives to see this type of bias in popular social apps, expect action to be taken. Here are actions that might be taken by conservatives and those who believe in freedom of speech:
- Legislation that regulates social media similar to other regulated utility monopolies
- Can you imagine if Verizon wouldn’t allow conservativesto buy a cell phone or use a cell phone on its 4G network?
- Can you imagine if a gas and electric utility company would not allow conservative customers to get gas and electric services?
- Monopoly services should be available to all Americans regardless of race, creed, sex and political opinions!
- Conservatives set up competing social media companies that permit freedom of speech for all citizens regardless of political views
- Conservatives stop using any biased social media companies – If they closed their accounts, ad revenues would drop for the biased social media companies
- Conservatives take the social media firms to court (for a variety of reasons)
President Trump Promised Action – He Makes Good on his Promises
Trump has his team working on the problem. Expect some action in the future.